Cast off the docklines! Make fast the topgallant! And HANG ON!

Anchors aweigh!

I’ve tried my best to keep up over the past couple of days, but the best I was able to do was twitter updates. If you want to read the adventures in real-time, follow me on twitter (@willronco) because I stuff my laptop in a pelican case for travel. Let’s catch up.

On Friday, Jeannine from Wilkins Signs in Chelmsford came by to apply the lettering John Young sent us. We contemplated trying to do this ourselves, but it seemed like too daunting a prospect. There isn’t too much on board that we really have to get right on the first try, but our transom lettering is definitely on that short list. After watching Jeannine, we were REALLY glad we did not try it ourselves.


It looks AWESOME, and even better in person. Thanks a million, John!

Leaving BostonLeaving Boston

After that, we were itching to get going … so we went! It was late in the day, our chartplotter did not show quite the data we were expecting, and we had forgotten to install the battens in the mainsail. so our First Sail turned out to be a First Motor, and just as well for that. Boston Harbor is challenging to navigate with less chart detail than we had expected, and our 5-10 knot wind had suddenly grown to 20-25 knots. But we made it out of Boston Harbor, narrowly (well, it FELT narrow) avoided a 500 foot tanker in the Boston shipping lanes, and negotiated the entrance to Scituate Harbor with time to spare. The Scituate harbormaster was a really nice guy who directed us to an overnight mooring we could borrow, and Steph made us an amazing terriyaki chicken dinner before we both collapsed from exhaustion.


This trip has been funny like that; we haven’t really done much Hard Physical Work, but we are both completely exhausted at the end of the day. By the end of yesterday’s voyage, I was ready to hibernate. But instead we soldiered on, leaving much earlier this morning to arrive in Sandwich – at the northeast end of the Cape Cod Canal – in late afternoon. Today we were able to actually sail, which was an incredible experience. Megatron sails beautifully, even in the hands of two rank amateurs such as ourselves.


Because of the wind angle, we were soon faced with the choice of staying overnight in Provincetown or motoring on to Sandwich. Provincetown would have been a cool side adventure, but we are pretty keen to make it to Rhode Island, so we motored. And then, at the end of a long and overall very challenging day, we had to enter a tiny harbor across a five knot current and then dock side-to (“beam-to” is the correct phrase, I think?) in a pretty strong cross breeze. Steph, me, and Megatron all survived, but we will need lots of practice if we are ever going to try something like this in tight quarters. As the (again, very nice) harbormaster said, “You’ve got to learn sometime.”


So we are!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *